Wednesday 27 January 2010

EXPERIENCE #2: WAKING UP FOR THE DAWN CHORUS

I remember once when I was younger being told how spectacular the birds dawn chorus is. I was also told that it commences at roughly 4a.m., reaches its climax at 5:30 a.m. and then slowly descends into your casual run-of-the-mill chirps and twitters from about 6:30 straight through until dusk.

Although I have tried, the getting up at 4a.m. bit has always been too hard for me and so I have never managed to experience the delights of early morning bird song.

This morning however that all changed as I lugged myself out of bed at 4a.m and headed down to the woods. I kept thinking of the classic idiom, "the early bird catches the worm" which was funny considering when I got to my destintation I seemed to be the bloody one there!

Some birds did turn up and put on a good show, but by 5:30 the whole chorus was still a little thin on the ground. I think perhaps the frost kept them away and to be honest I dont really blame them.

Although I might retry this experience a little later into my 98 remaining days I still think it counts considering the time that I got up and the drippy nose that I still have now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely following this blog, not to be a creepster or anything. Keep it up Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha thanks dude. I have some good ideas so hopefully you'll enjoy it. Any ideas would be good. xxx

    ReplyDelete