Sunday 31 January 2010

EXPERIENCE #6: GOING TO SUNDAY CHURCH

Yes, today I attended the morning service at my local church.

I've always considered going to church to be such an old and orthodox tradition, so much so that it doesn't really have a place in my life at all.

I know it’s not really an 'out there' sort of experience to have, but in a way that's the whole point with this one.

Funnily enough the vicar actually lives two doors down from me and I didn't even realise it, in fact the church had bought the house a few years back to act as the towns permanent vicarage.

Everyone one kindly welcomed me and the whole service was very pleasant just as i had expected. Even though I was terribly off key through all the hymns no one seemed to care which was nice.

I found the drone of everyone saying the prayers aloud a little unsettling but apart from that it went well.

I think the great thing about the morning was the fact that religion wasn't being shoved down my throat and I guess that’s what had worried me the most.

People were curious as to why I had come along but most were more interested in the direction I was headed in with my journalism and whether I was having any trouble finding a job.

I am feeling a little bad for the fact that although I may go again at some point I'm not going to be attending religiously at all. This worry probably isn't helped by the fact that the church now knows exactly where I live...

1 comment:

  1. Well done Dan...your definately going to heaven now :) x

    ReplyDelete