Saturday 30 January 2010

EXPERIENCE #5: FINDING OUT MY CARBON FOOTPRINT

Last summer I spent a lot of time with my local Greenpeace group petitioning against large corporate carbon emitters such as the Kingsnorth Power Station and Heathrow Airport.

All the time I would have people challenging me on what my own carbon footprint was and although I assured them I cycled everywhere, flew nowhere and shopped as locally as my pennies would allow, I'd never actually been 100% sure how much carbon guff I'm pumping out into the atmosphere myself.

So when this afternoon I scoffed at the suggestion of getting a flight to Bristol for my birthday weekend I was inspired to find out what my own personal offset was.

By using some sort of fancy online carbon calculator gizmo I was able to get a rough idea of how much I contribute annually to the choking of our planet.

Here's the damage:

* Your footprint is 0.36 tonnes, which equates to 4.47 tonnes per year
* The average footprint for people in United Kingdom is 9.80 tonnes
* The average for the industrial nations is about 11 tonnes
* The average worldwide carbon footprint is about 4 tonnes
* The worldwide target to combat climate change is 2 tonnes

No comments:

Post a Comment