Wednesday 3 February 2010

EXPERIENCE #9: JOINING A LOCAL ACTIVIST GROUP

When I moved back home I was told about proposals that had been put through by Morrisons and Sainsbury's to build two ginormous new supermarkets just outside of town.

I did a little research into what people from the town were doing about this and found out about a group called ilovewadebridge who are actively opposing the whole thing.

I emailed the chap who was running the group and he told me that they were recruiting people to help with the cause.

I'd been involved with campaigning against national and international issues before with Greenpeace but never anything on a local level and really wanted to get lend a hand.

So today I attended the groups very first meeting and became an official 'helper'. There were a lot of great suggestions on how this could all be tackled and what we could do within the community to get more people on board.

For some reason I always get a little shy when there are lots of new people around and so didn’t really say much which was so stupid because I had some monumental ideas to put forward... bloody idiot.

I did however volunteer to make protesting banners and help in street campaigning which is better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment