Sunday 2 May 2010

EXPERIENCE #84: BELIEVING FOR JUST ONE SECOND THAT I HAD SOMEHOW BEEN PORTALLED TO NORWAY AND ALL MY DREAMS HAD COME TRUE

Since when the heck did Nordic bakeries branch out to over here in the UK?!

Don't get me wrong I'm in no way complaining whatsoever if anything I feel that we could do with more Nordic businesses in these parts.

Ahem, anyway back to the story of my new experience, I was just pottering around London this morning waiting for my train home when I came across a Nordic bakery.

In many ways it lacked any distinguishing Nordic traits which is perhaps why I mistook it at first for another bog standard bakery. Firstly there was a distinct lack of pine furnishings and secondly I am quite sure the till lady was of Latino origin.

I wasn't there to judge though and so I browsed through the Nordic treats that they had on offer.

Turns out that the Norway lot are only really famous for two pastry based things, rye bread and cinnamon buns neither of which I had ever tried before.

I picked up a loaf for my ol' mum and a little cinnamon bun for myself.

I approached the counter cautiously still questionable of the authenticity of the cashier ethnicity, I'm pretty sure she called me hombre under her breath which spoiled the whole experience for me rather a lot, who you try to fool anyway you damn Latino!?

Nonetheless it's pretty much the closest I have been to anything remotely Norweigan like and thats good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment