Wednesday 12 May 2010

EXPERIENCE #98: VISITING MY GRANDFATHERS GRAVE

Gosh, I really do need to start visiting places that don't involve the deceased en masse.

Um, my pappy died when I was two. This wasn't really enough time to really get to seal a real bond with the ol' guy and so it's one of those passing's that hasn't really had a huge place in my life.

What I do know is that he was a journalist so I suppose we have that in common, and also my mam seemed to like him which is saying a lot considering minus my brother and I, the Yeo clan aren't at the top of her special people pile (he's my dads dad you see).

Regardless of all this I considered it pretty poor that I'd never even visited his grave before or for that matter even been aware of where he was buried.

So I headed up to the graveyard I knew he was buried in and went from stone to stone looking for the name William Yeo.

At one point I found a Wilfred Yeo and thought I'd struck gold, however the death date didn't add up to what I'd been told and so I carried on skulking around the tombstones in search of my real granddad.

Pretty much the last bloody stone I looked at was his, so freaking typical of the Yeo's, good work team, not.

A little flustered I sat right next to his grave and just read my book and smoked my pipe (it was a definite pensive moment right then, sorry mum).

A little chunk of me felt like one of those runaway adopted kids who after some mild hysteria and weeping are always found by their new mummy and daddy asleep on the grave of their recently deceased nearest and dearest.

Another little chunk of me elsewhere did feel something special for being there though. My granddad was supposedly a good human being and so it would have been nice to have been properly introduced.

Although it's perhaps a little too late to do that, the letters on his plaque definitely need touching up (Jay can you help me with that?) and he's in real need of some sort of flower arrangement to spruce up the plot so at least I can do this eh?

Dedicated to a man I wish I'd met x

p.s Totally checked for orbs around his tomb!

No comments:

Post a Comment