Saturday 17 April 2010

EXPERIENCE #73: GOING TO A WINE-TASTE-ATHON EXTRAVAGANZA!

When I'm hunting for a suitable wine to purchase I'm a total sucker for the classic three for ten pound offer not because I find them pleasing to the pallet but because they are cheap and I'm a bit of a skank.

However, we have a rather fine selection of wines at the restaurant I work in and they're all locally sourced from the Camel Valley Vineyard just down the road; this is the proper stuff.

So when myself and my fellow employee Liddi came to discussing our fine wine selection and how we really didn't know much about it we decided that it would be a good idea to go down to the vineyard to experience our first ever day out wine tasting .

We agreed that such an event would undoubtably draw in the upper class toffs and tarts from the surrounding area as well as the the posh wineheads down on their Easter holidays who are looking for quick yet fabulous fix.

It was therefore decided we would decorate ourselves in our most exquisite ensembles and take on alter egos. I can't remember the names that we went for exactly (murky memory probably caused by the wine intake) but I'm sure that one sounded something like hyacinth (the bulbous plant of the lily family, just so you know) and the other like some sort of pedigree dog breed, I dunno.

Anyway, the tour was actually quite interesting and I learn't some cracking new facts. For example, interesting fact, did you know that Champagne is actually called that because of where it is from not just how it is made?! Also red wine gets its distinct colour from the skins and if they're left out you just get white wine, smart eh?

After the tour we got to sit down and sniff and slosh all the wines that the vineyard made. In all honesty I have never tasted such delicious tasting wines in my life, they had very distinct flavors and aromas. Yes, quite.

They went through the tasting quite quickly and although they were only tiddly glasses having to quickly guzzle them down at such a pace accumulated to chugging a big ol' glass of wine, needless to say I was a tiny bit tipsy.

All in all the tasting tour was a right old laugh and I want to thank Liddi a lot for coming along with me. Dedication pour toi mon amour.

p.s look how thin this tractor is!

No comments:

Post a Comment