Friday 5 March 2010

EXPERIENCE #37: WRITING A LETTER TO MY ULTIMATE HERO, REX WEYLER

For those of you that are unaware of who Rex Weyler is, he is one of the founding members of Greenpeace and pretty much my biggest idol.

He's also a lovely writer and has written a few books that retell the early adventures of his activist chums and the original Greenpeace group. They're all pretty dated now but they have that great engaging quality that stories grandparents tell you have, like theyre from a time that you can't even comprehend?

Anyway I'm in the middle of reading one of his books 'The Whale Song' which is all about a marine biologist blokey called Paul Spong and his conquests into freeing captive orcas and highlighting the fact that whales are about a million times cooler than humans.

So whilst having a read yesterday I got to thinking about how damn great this Rex Weyler fellow is and how I should most definitely write to him and tell him so.

So I did, it wasn't a brown nosing "oh Rexy your so super cool will you please sign my chest" sort of letter, just a short one to let him know that I think he's a particularly great human being and that I'm glad he was born.

I'm in the process of figuring out where to send this letter do but I will when I find his address and hopefully I will get some sort of response and even if I don't at least he knows I'm a fan

No comments:

Post a Comment