Friday 5 March 2010

EXPERIENCE #38: CELEBRATING ST PIRANS DAY

So I am officially 100% Cornish but have never celebrated the annual day of our patron saint, St Piran.

Today being St Pirans day I had a real feeling inside this morning that this should be my new experience and that I should try and celebrate all things Cornish to the best of my ability.

So I woke up, pinned my Cornwall badge to my jumper, posted a cheery 'Lowen Dydh sen Pyran!' (happy St Pirans day!) to everyone on facebook and then headed off to work.

At the nursery I baked Cornish pasties (well actually a Cornish pasty pie, which thinking about it is technically a normal pie just er made with the love of a Cornishman...it counts alright!?!) and wished everyone a happy St Pirans day. They had the Kernow flag up and were wearing gold and black which I thought was a lovely touch.

After work I strolled into town on what could have been one of the most beautiful days ever and actually took in the splendor of my little town. 

I bought a big old cheese and onion pasty and then hopped on the Western Greyhound (totally Cornish) and headed to my next job. My pasty bloody honked out the bus and made everything smell like sweaty cheese and strong greasy onions; it was marvelous!

Ive now finished work and got home to join my mum on the sofa in some quality viewing of Doc Martin (again totally Cornish, or at least Clunes tries to be).

I feel as if my Cornishness as been fully replenished and that I'm good for another year now.

The experience is for you Mr Piran thanks for bringing tin mining, good local ales and clotted cream to our green pastures, love you babes x

No comments:

Post a Comment