Tuesday 23 March 2010

EXPERIENCE #52: MASTERING THE ACQUIRED SKILL OF STONE SKIPPING

Yes this is one of those "I was such a retarded child that I never got the hang of it" new experiences, secretly though these are actually my favorite kind.

It all started when Sam and I went for a bicycle ride today, we stopped off at quarry so that I could show him the super cool hidden pool they had turned the excavation site into.

It was there that we got to talking about stone skipping and how neither of our fathers had managed to successfully teach us to do it it when we were little.

We agreed for there sake if not our own we would not leave that pool until we had both managed at least four if not more skims each.

Being the amateurs that we were we figured that smaller, flatter and rounder rocks were best best suited for this type of thing.

Wrong, the small rocks simply slapped the water and sank and the best we could do was two bounces before they floundered.

We figured (well mostly Sam) that maybe the bigger ones would work better which they actually did! I then applied some of my stored scientific knowledge and concluded that the larger the surface area the better the bounce back is bound to be.

And that was that, nothing could stop us then. Sam pulled off probably the highest scoring stone skim ever with a triple bounce followed by a stone split that he finished with three more bounces from both halves, impressive I know!

I managed about eight skims which I was totally thrilled with and Sam caught beautifully on camera.

We're going to enter the annual stone skimming tournament this coming summer so keep an eye out for us (just so you know we're the devilishly handsome pair).

No comments:

Post a Comment